Rosemead - The early settler Leonard Rose purchased 500 to 700 acres to breed and train horses. He called his place Rose´s Meadow, later to become the City of Rosemead. The city was incorporated in 1959, with 5.5 square miles of land. Small truck farms and chicken and rabbit ranches were popular with quiet pastoral lands that now have many businesses and over 53,000 people. Early settlers found this area a great place to grow fruits, vegetables, grain and feed. Some of the early residents were awaken each morning by the eerie wails of lions from the nearby El Monte lion farm.
Today the City of Rosemead offers a desirable and affordable community in which to live and a thriving business sector with economic growth. Rosemead´s friendly atmosphere is great for families, with nine parks and excellent schools making it a wonderful place to raise a family.
Other interesting people include John Guess and his wife Harriet, which made camp in 1852 where the present Savannah School is on Rio Hondo Avenue. After a year, he purchased 100 acres of a 1,164 acre ranch which he named Savannah. It stretched from Valley Boulevard on the north to Marshall Street on the south.